Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday in the 90's

So it's finally Friday again! Yay, weekend! Don't know why I'm cheering... No rest for the final year students! But, of course I'm happy all of those of you that can enjoy the beautiful weather and a nice relaxing Easter holiday (How bloody magnanimous of me to be happy on your behalf while I'm sat crying in front of a computer).

Anyways, I'll give myself some time off to share some music with you. I've gone back some years for these one. Turns out the 90's gave us some brilliant club music! I love going back to that decade to rediscover all the forgotten gems. For example this one: The Bucketheads with The Bomb (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind). Turns out "The Bucketheads" are in fact only one DJ from New York named Kenny "Dope" Gonzalez. He's a DJ veteran now working under several pseudonyms and he's had several singles, but I believe this is his most successful one:


Everyone know who the Chemical Brothers are. They've also been around a looong time and given us some quality club music. I've always been a fan, but I've only really heard their hit singles. So I decided to listen back to their first album Exit Planet Dust from 1995 and, lo and behold, 'twas awesome! The first track Leave Home just immediately draws you in to that electronic rock'n'roll club dance I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-but-it-is-brilliant. Here it is:

For the last song we'll leave the 90's and move into the early naughties (00's). Mint Royale is a big beat electronic music (same genre as the the Chemical Brothers) act from Manchester (Yay, Manchester!). In 2002 they released this gem of a track which I immediately fell in love it the first time I heard it. And not only is it an incredible tune, but they also made a brilliant music video for it which featured some of my favourite comedians: Michael Smiley and Nick Frost (from Spaced, Shaun of The Dead, Hot Fuzz) and Mighty Boosh geniuses Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding! The video is very much representative of how I react when I listen to this song in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment